e-Commerce is the most complex system within Exponent. Though as shipped it can't be considered as full-featured as many e-Commerce only applications, it does provide easy to add light-weight e-Commerce features to existing sites, and can handle more robust needs if required. It does requires quite a bit of set up to implement. Here's how to get up and running on your site
(all steps below except step #1 are already completed automatically if the installation was performed using the sample e-Commerce store database, or if you import the /install/samples/store.eql file).
- Set up your site on a secure (SSL) server!
- Enter appropriate settings under the Security tab above
- 'Checkout' should ALWAYS be done within/on a secure server to protect private financial information! Though you can test the setup without a secure server.
- If you are NOT collecting sensitive data such as credit card information and using an external payment option such as PayPal Express, this step may be considered optional.
- Import default ecommerce information into the database (there is a link on the Configure Website, e-Commerce tab to perform this action)
- While much of these imported settings are duplicated below, there are many other records needed by the e-Commerce system
- Activate e-Commerce, or an e-Commerce module to turn the e-Commerce system on:
- Activate a Payment Option
- Most Payment Options need configuration which requires establishing an account with that payment service
- 'Bill Me' and 'Cash/Check' are the easiest to set up
- Activate a Shipping Option
- Most Shipping Options need configuration which requires establishing an account with that shipping service
- In Store Pickup is the easiest to set up
- Recommended (to get better results):
- Establish some General Store Settings like store name and starting invoice number.
- Create a Tax Class (including the Tax Zone and Tax Rate) if you will be collecting any sales tax or Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Establish some Order Settings
- Establish some Product Settings
- Create at least one Store Category
- Create at least one Manufacturer
- Create the Product (product, donation, event, or gift card) and assign a category
- Add an e-Commerce module to a page to allow customers to visit the 'store'
- Consider adding an 'e-Commerce Store Front' module with the 'Links - Users Links' action for easier user access to their store account and shopping cart
- e-Commerce Store Management is best handled through the e-Commerce menu (slingbar), or e-Commerce Dashboard